“We live by faith, not by sight.”
(2 Corinthians 5:7)
For as long as we live this present life our relationship with the Lord God will be based on faith and not on sight.
We will not see Him as He is nor will we see what it is that He has prepared for us. We may see what He has done but we will not often see what He is doing or will do. In fact our trust in Him, and in what He is doing and will do, will be based on His revelation of Himself in the past and the things He has done in the past.
The fact that we cannot see Him, or see Him in action, does not mean that we cannot be aware of Him. He does reveal Himself to us in a spiritual way, He does answer prayer and He does strengthen and guide us when we seek it and, often, where we don’t. He has also given to His people the gift of the Holy Spirit who lives within us, and from where He ministers to us.
God has made commitments to us that He calls us to rely on and act upon. For example –
- “Ask and it will be given to you” (Matthew 7:7)
- “Seek and you will find” (Matthew 7:7)
- “Knock and the door will be opened to you” (Matthew 7:7)
- “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart” (Jeremiah 29:13)
- “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28)
- “If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” (Luke 11:13)
- “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me” (Revelation 3:20)
The God who has revealed Himself in the past, and supremely in Jesus Christ, does not change.
“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8)
Our faith can grow into active and absolute confidence in God who spiritually can be closer to us and more real to us than if we could see Him.
Remind yourself constantly of His presence, power and love. Seek more of Him through Scripture. Let His word provide stronger foundations to your faith.
Choose to trust God (more).
Lord I choose to believe and trust in You. Please deepen and strengthen my faith in You no matter the circumstances around me. Amen.