“Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart.”
(1 Peter 1:22)
Only the blood of Christ can cleanse us from sin and provide salvation. The Holy Spirit then works to sanctify the believers – that is to transform and purify their minds and way of life and build them up as godly people – by bringing them into obedience to the teachings of the Lord. Jesus taught us that
- “If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.” (John 14:23)
- “If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love.” (John 15:10)
John underlines this is his first letter.
- “We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him:” (1 John 2:3-5)
- “Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble.” (1 John 2:9-10)
- “The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.” (1 John 2:17)
- “We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. Anyone who does not love remains in death.” (1 John 3:14)
Our salvation is purely by the grace of God and through faith in Jesus Christ. The mark of our salvation and new relationship with God is our decision to live our lives in obedience to His commands. This is revealed as real by the change in our attitude to others. This attitude is now characterised by love, which is in accordance with Jesus commands to His people.
- “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” (John 13:34)
- “But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you” (Matthew 5:44)
- “And the second is like it: `Love your neighbour as yourself.”(Matthew 22:39)
All of this is only possible through the grace of God for He gives us the love that is needed.
- “because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.” (Romans 5:5)
Our love of God must lead us to obey Him – by loving others.
Father God You love me so much. Help me to receive Your love and to reveal it in my love for others. Amen.