“You are a chosen people”
(1 Peter 2:9)
Christians are a chosen people, chosen by God. Each Christian is also a chosen person.
- “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you …” (John 15:16)
- “For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight.” (Ephesians 1:4)
- “from the beginning God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.” (2 Thessalonians 2:13)
- “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day.” (John 6:44)
We are chosen as the expression of God’s love and purpose in three ways.
Firstly we are chosen for privilege. Through Jesus Christ we are drawn into a new and intimate relationship with the Lord God Almighty. We become in a completely new way His daughters and His sons as well as His friends. We become recipients of His Holy Spirit who brings about the reality of this transformation and introduces us to the wonder of God’s great and eternal love.
Secondly we are chosen into a new way of life. This life is founded on the love of God and expressed though our obedience to His will and direction. Because He is God, because of His great sacrificial love and because His Way has to be the only way to live we submit to Him in faith and trust.
Thirdly we are chosen to serve Him. The consequence of our obedient service is that we will bear fruit for Him.
- “This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.” (John 15:8)
- “For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” (Ephesians 2:10)
The eternal children of our Heavenly Father, living out a new life of love and purpose, in the enabling power of the Holy Spirit within us. There is no higher calling or privilege.
Look at yourself in a new way – you and your life have great value in God’s sight.
Father You have chosen me as your beloved child. Help me please to live my life in love, trust and faithfulness. Amen.