“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God”
Genesis tells us that God was in the beginning. John then tells us that Jesus was also in the beginning. Having existed before ‘the beginning’ they are both understood to have existed for all eternity.
John adds that Jesus was ‘with God’. They were not separate or in opposition but together. They were completely ‘with’ one another in every way, united in thought, word and deed. As Scripture tells us their relationship was glorious, perfect and unspoiled.
- “And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.” (John 17:5)
- “Father .. you loved me before the creation of the world.” (John 17:24)
Such was the relationship that they had before the world began that Jesus was happy to entrust everything to the Father during His life and ministry on earth.
- “For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it. I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.” (John 12:49-50)
- “I love the Father and .. I do exactly what my Father has commanded me.” (John 14:31)
And even during His ministry Jesus could affirm His special relationship with the Father.
- “I and the Father are one.” (John 10:30)
- “Father, just as you are in me and I am in you.” (John 17:21)
- “Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father” (John 14:9)
Acknowledge the wonder of this eternal and all-powerful, all-loving relationship.
Thank you Father for the great and eternal love that lives in both You and Jesus our Lord. Help me to be a part of that love and to reveal something of it in my life. Amen.
Background Picture – By Moise Nicu (Own work) [CC-BY-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)%5D, via Wikimedia Commons