We are not waiting for the Light of the world – He has already come. And whilst we do await His final coming in the fullness of His glory He is already amongst us.
• “The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world.” (John 1:9)
• “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12)
• “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” ( Matthew 28:20)
Our response is to accept the truth – ‘your light has come’ – and to rise up and go forward into the future with Him. This will not be in some arrogant and swashbuckling way but with the simple trust of a child walking hand in hand with a loving parent. For it is God’s glory that has risen upon us, it is His Light that shines in and through us, and it is in Him that we put our trust.
• “This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: “In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength” (Isaiah 30:15)
• “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me” (John 14:1)
As Christians we are not alone. The Lord is with us always and, through the Holy Spirit, He is within us always. No matter what the year ahead holds for us, individually and collectively, He is with us and will never leave us. Whether we are filled with excited expectation, feeling battered and fearful, or desolate and lonely He calls us to stand with Him in His blessed light.
“The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.” (Psalm 118:14)
Lord Jesus help me this year to keep my eyes fixed upon You – and to walk with You in Your light and love and life. Amen.