“I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened
in order that you may know ….
the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints”
If God’s call on our lives points back to the beginning of our Christian life then His inheritance takes our focus forward. It focusses our attention on what it is that awaits us in the fulfillment of time and of which the Holy Spirit is the guarantee. And unlike the uncertainties of any inheritance in this present world Peter describes our God-given inheritance as being ‘imperishable, undefiled and unfading’ and kept in heaven for us. (1 Peter1:4)
We know that we will be, for all eternity, the beloved daughters and sons of Almighty God and never separated from Him. Apart from this we are not given any details – only that it is beyond our capacity to imagine.
“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him” (1 Corinthians 2:9)
The hints that we receive are really to stimulate our vision beyond the perishable realities of this world. Tellingly they do not focus on things but on Persons.
- We will see and worship God and Jesus Christ
- The vision of God will be a transforming vision
- When Jesus appears we will be like Him in body and in character
- We will enjoy perfect fellowship with each other
- “Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is” (1 John 3:2)
- “who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body” (Philippians 3:21)
- “After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands” (Revelation 7:9)
- “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” (Revelation 21:4)
With all this we will be, for the first time in our lives, most wonderfully and joyfully complete in every way. Completely our true and God-created selves, completely one in loving union with our Lord and God, and completely at peace with ourselves, our God and the entire creation.
Being joint-heirs with Jesus Christ (Romans 8:17) we will share in everything that belongs to Him. And such will be the majestic and glorious revelation of the true reality of God that we will never wish to take our eyes off His dynamic, living and life-giving beauty. We could happily feast on Him forever, lost in wonder, love and praise. And finally and fully we will discover what it means for us all as, the Church of Jesus Christ becomes the Bride of Christ throughout eternity – to love and be loved, to be cherished and to cherish and to be creative with the Creator of all things, in the place that He has prepared for us. (John 14:2)
“Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude,
like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting:
“Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns.
Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory!
For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
and his bride has made herself ready.”
Come, Lord Jesus – come!