“I pray also that the eyes of your heart
may be enlightened in order that you may know ..
His incomparably great power for us who believe”
God’s power mentioned here relates to the period between our original call and our enjoyment of our full and final inheritance in the Lord. In other words it covers the ‘now’ period of our lives. For only God’s supreme power can fulfil the expectations of His call on our lives and ensure our safe arrival in His presence to participate in the glory and life that He has prepared for us.
The greatest revelation and demonstration of this power and its extent is revealed to us in the resurrection from the dead of the Lord Jesus and His exaltation and enthronement at the right hand of God.
- “That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms,
- far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.
- And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, which is his body” (Ephesians 1:18-23)
There are two forces which man cannot control and which hold him in bondage – death and evil. However in and through Jesus Christ God has shown His power and supremacy in conquering both, and given us the assurance that He can and will do so for us as well. It is for this reason that Jesus said and Paul rejoiced,
- “I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand” (John 10:28)
- “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 8:38-39)
This same power, and the power that we know Jesus exercised whilst on earth, is obviously still at God’s command. He can exercise it whenever and however He chooses. He will choose to do so in and through our lives and ministries as well. And, as the angel said to Mary, “nothing is impossible with God.” This means that we should be focussed and prayerful in asking God to exercise His will and power in, through and around us – from personal situations to great international ones. For our God is a Mighty and Loving God.
Lord I believe and trust in You – help my unbelief
Lord God, help me to draw ever closer to You, to trust fully in You mighty power and unstoppable love, and to pray for Your healing in the life and lives around me. Amen.