“But with you there is forgiveness;
therefore you are feared”
In essence sin, in all of its aspects, is directed as an act of rebellion against God. This is stated strongly by both David and Paul.
- “Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight” (Psalm 51:4)
- “the sinful mind is hostile to God” (Romans 8:7)
Forgiveness can come only from God and is possible only because God is a God of love and grace.
- “The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. (Exodus 34:6-7)
However the passage continues to say “Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished” which shows that His forgiveness is not indiscriminate. He will not automatically clear everyone who is guilty. There is a need for acknowledgement of sin and penitence from men and women.
- “And so John came, baptizing in the desert region and preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins” (Mark 1:4)
God’s forgiveness is a gift and not a right. And when He forgives His forgiveness is complete and not partial, temporary or conditional.
- “as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us” (Psalm 103:12)
- “I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more” (Isaiah 43:25)
- “You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea” (Micah 7:19)
Because sin separates us from God, and as forgiveness comes only from and through God, our relationship with Him is all-important. He needs to be ‘feared’ or held in the highest regard and respect.
- “But with you there is forgiveness; therefore you are feared” (Psalm 130:4)
Only God can forgive, cleanse and heal us of the guilt and stain of sin
Father please help me to not take sin lightly, nor Your call to holiness. Help me Lord to repent, confess and turn away from anything that damages my relationship with You. Amen.