“’Not by might nor by power,
but by my Spirit,’
says the Lord Almighty”
Nothing of significance in God’s eyes happens without the Holy Spirit.
In the beginning God’s creative word was spoken into the Spirit’s presence and creation took place. The conception and birth of Jesus happened through the creative power and action of the Holy Spirit. Jesus ministry commenced when the Holy Spirit came into His life at His baptism in the Jordan to guide and empower Him. And the Christian Church was formed and empowered by that same Holy Spirit at Pentecost. So important is the Spirit that John the Baptist prophesied that an essential part of Jesus ministry would be His baptising His followers in the Holy Spirit. And Jesus Himself taught that it is impossible for anyone to enter the kingdom of God without the action of the Spirit in their lives.
- John answered them all, “.. He will baptise you with the Holy Spirit and with fire” (Luke 3:16)
- Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, no-one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit” (John 3:5)
Every Christian becomes a Christian through the work and ministry of the Holy Spirit who is the great gift promised to each of His followers by Jesus Himself.
- “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counsellor to be with you for ever- the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you” (John 14:16-17)
- “Peter replied, “Repent and be baptised, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit” (Acts 2:38)
As cars need liquid fuel and bodies need material food so our spirits need spiritual food on a regular basis. We have been made that way. Unless we keep being refueled we can discover that we have been running on empty or very little. That means we are reverting to our own ways and our own strength. Therefore every day we should ask the Holy Spirit to fill us anew, guide us, strengthen us and empower us for the day and ministry that lies ahead.
- “If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” (Luke 11:13)
Pray for the Spirit and take a few very deep breaths as your way of inviting Him into the very depths of your being.
Father please fill me with Your Holy Spirit to continually bring to me the wonderful freshness of Your Life and Light and Love –and to lead and strengthen me through my day. Amen.