“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
who has blessed us in the heavenly realms
with every spiritual blessing in Christ”
As we look back on the wonder of Good Friday and Easter it is good to remind ourselves of some of the great blessings that God has brought about for us. As we do so we need to remember that what happened was not just a piece of grand drama but something that has a real and eternal impact on our lives, starting right now.
Paul cannot be clearer as he tells us that God has blessed us in these ways – and that as we join our lives to the Lord they become a reality for us. This was God’s choice and plan from before the creation of the world and He ensured that His purpose was fulfilled in these great events. So we find that in Christ we receive,
- Redemption and the forgiveness of sins (1:7)
- Adoption as the sons and daughters of God (1:5)
- The presence, seal and guarantee within us of the Holy Spirit (1:13)
- Holiness and blamelessness in God’s eyes (1:4)
- God’s love in all its fullness (1:4)
- The lavish riches of God’s glorious grace (1:5 & 8)
- The understanding of God’s will, purpose and plan which He is working out (1:11)
- To bring all things in heaven and on earth under the headship of Christ (1:10)
- The recognition of our purpose which is to live to the praise of the glory of God (1:12)
God is giving us what we did not have and could not achieve by ourselves. These are not words to be read and forgotten but to be pondered on, prayed over and possessed for ourselves in quiet moments – until they ignite with meaning and reality.
It is small wonder therefore that Paul would go on himself to pray that we might appreciate to the fullest possible extent the implications of these blessings – desiring that we may not just know of them but instead know their truth for ourselves.
“I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints and his incomparably great power for us who believe” (Ephesians 1:17-19)
Treasure these words through the days ahead, asking God to bless you with their reality for you.
Open my eyes please Lord to the wonder of Your truth and love revealed through our Lord Jesus. Amen.