“In the beginning God created
the heavens and the earth”
God is Creator. This is affirmed throughout Scripture.
- “Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made” (John 1:3)
- “By the word of the Lord were the heavens made, their starry host by the breath of his mouth” (Psalm 33:6)
- “By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible” (Hebrews 11:3)
What He has made He has also sustained and continues to sustain.
- “The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word” (Hebrews 1:3)
Where Science seeks to discover how things were made the Scriptures very simply and clearly focus on Who made them. They do not delve into process but confine themselves to simple Truth. And yet, just as any work of art reveals something of the artist, there is within creation a revelation of the power and glory and majesty of the Creator.
- “For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse” (Romans 1:20)
One day I stood and looked in awed appreciation at the sun sparkling on the deep blue swell of the surging sea, and I said quietly, “0 God, but that’s beautiful!” And deep within me a voice responded, “I like it too.” And it was very good.
Look and Listen – sense the life and beauty all around.
Lord God, how You must have enjoyed creating the seen and the unseen – everything in its vast array. Help me to pause and see, hear and feel, and marvel that I too am a precious part of it. Amen.