“O LORD …. please grant success
to the journey on which I have come.”
Life is a journey – a journey with a beginning, a middle and an end. We had no say in its beginning and have little, if any, say in its certain end. However we do live in a vital part of it – the middle that joins the two.
God initiated our journey. He purposed and planned to give life to each one of us – you and me. We were each a part of His plan from all eternity. He chose to give us life, and chose also where and when that life should begin.
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you”(Jeremiah 1:5)
God desires to be a part of our journey. He has not made us and abandoned us – in fact He is with us. We may ignore and forsake Him but He never turns away from us.
- “Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there” (Psalm 139:7-8)
- “The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you” (Deuteronomy 31:8)
- “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age” (Matthew 28:20)
God knows the right way. The ways of the world are not the ways of God. He calls us to a different path, a higher and less obvious way and to the narrow gate that leads to Life. It is the way that He has laid out for us and along which He Himself will guide us.
- “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it” (Matthew 7:13)
- “I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved” (John 10:9)
- “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6)
Only God can promise success to our journey of life. The world cannot deliver what it appears to promise. God’s ways and life will deliver what He promises. And, of supreme importance, only God’s Way will lead us home – home to God and the place and life that He has prepared for us.
- “I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full” (John 10:10)
- “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am” (John 14:3)
And on this journey the one work to which me must devote our primary effort is this,
- “Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent” (John 6:29)
- “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight” (Proverbs 3:5-6)
Walk close to the Lord, and in His ways, all day.
Lord Jesus You called us to follow You. Please help me to stay very close to You, to discern Your guidance and to trust and follow Your lead as we journey together. Amen.